What inspired you to join/start your business?
We saw an open opportunity in the market to start something new, fun, and exciting!
We love our business and the happiness it brings our guests. We can't wait to do that again at the same level we were in the past. Until then, we'll be happy with our reduced capacity joy!
What challenges have you faced as a woman entrepreneur and how did you overcome them?
There are so many challenges for any entrepreneur! The biggest challenge that I faced as a women is one that is faced so often by woman, in general, which is being talked over or down to in areas that are in my expertise. It becomes even more stressful as a new entrepreneur because you begin to question yourself when you should follow what you know!
What was your most satisfying moment in your career?
When Songbird Karaoke was profitable and seeing our guests leave after having an amazing experience.
How do you define success?
When something I've imagined, dreamed of, planned for, and put in the effort happens!
What’s the best piece of career advice you’ve ever received?
When I was trying to get my first full-time job, I wasn't getting called back. A man who I worked with at my part-time job told me to call the CEO early in the morning before his assistant got there. I was so nervous but I did it. He answered and I also mentioned some new clients I'd seen the company win recently. I got the job. It really taught me there are always ways to make things work. You just have to be willing to face your fears.
What women inspire you and why?
My grandmother. She was a girl boss from the beginning so I never questioned if I could or couldn't. Also, women who I may or may not know but I see out there making things work; moms, business owners, someone handling a difficult customer, so many great women all around us!
What advice would you give to other women entrepreneurs?
Trust yourself. So many times, we take other people's advice or doubt ourselves when we know what's best for us and our business.
Describe yourself in three words.
Organized, deliberate, cheerful
Fill in the Blank:
- When I face a challenge, I... first stress then I take think through all of my options, weigh the pros/cons, possibly talk through it, and then decide how to proceed.
- If I could go back in time, I would tell myself… don't worry about what people think!
- The one thing I couldn’t live without is… my family.
- By this time next year, I will be… back to having a profitable business and opening our second location.
- The best thing that happened to me last week was… we had a record setting weekend since reopening after the COVID shut down.
- To get my creative juices flowing, I… reorganize my list (that's gotta be the lamest thing ever but it is true!)